Each baby is a new beginning—a new life story unfolding and a new chapter in a family’s life. Our Family Birth Center is a great place for new beginnings, offering many of the comforts of home, while providing the security of current technology. We support personalized birth experiences, including education in infant care and breast feeding. This excellence was recently recognized at the state level by achieving “Blue Distinction Plus” for quality and cost effectiveness from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont. It was also recognized at the national/international level recently, as our staff earned the prestigious “Baby Friendly” designation – joining St. Johnsbury as the only Vermont hospitals to achieve that level of excellence focused on supporting new moms and newborns.
Our passion is to provide highest level of quality care using current research to guide our evidence-based practices. Here on the Family Birth Center, we strive to make your experience a memorable one. Our nurses and providers truly care about what they do and pride themselves in their skills and personal approach to care. For those rare instances when even more specialized care is needed, we have strong relationships with the neonatal center at The University of Vermont Medical Center in Burlington. In addition to maternal and newborn care, we also provide care for a wide variety of women’s health needs, and pediatrics. We are proud to work closely with Northwestern OB/GYN, a full-service practice located right on NMC’s campus. Their experienced team of Board Certified OB/GYN physicians, a talented physician assistant, and office staff provides innovative approaches to prenatal care and c-sections and are a vital part of what makes having a baby on the Family Birth Center a wonderful experience for so many families. Click here to learn more about Northwestern OB/GYN.
To schedule a tour of the Family Birth Center, please call: 802-524-1040
- Breastfeeding education
- Breastfeeding support
- Labor and delivery
- Lactation consultants
- Maternity care
- Postpartum care
- Woman's health care
Your birthing experience
Our private labor and birthing room is a spacious, home-like environment. Your bed breaks down to become a delivery bed. Each room has a pull-out sleeper couch for your support people, cable TV, a phone, a radiant warmer, a pram for your baby, a private bathroom, and a shower with a removable hand-held shower head and a pull down bench to use as you wish.
Mother-baby couplet care
Did you know?
- 33% of our Registered Nurses also hold higher certifications in specialty areas such as Obstetrics, Labor and Delivery, and Newborn Care.
- All of our nurses have had extensive training in order to help support breastfeeding. We also provide access to International Board Certified Lactation Consultants onsite to help with breastfeeding.
- On some weekdays, a volunteer harpist comes to play a few lullabies in each room.
- We provide an individualized plan of care based on each patient’s specific needs.
- We are progressive in patient education and ensure our patients go home with the knowledge they need to appropriately care for themselves and their children.
- Access to an International Board Certified Lactation Consultants onsite to help with breastfeeding.