Caring for our community dates back to the original St. Albans Hospital, established in 1883. For more than 125 years, we have been an integral part of life in northwestern Vermont – and look forward to maintaining that role for years to come.
Major community employer
NMC employs over 800 people through the hospital, outpatient practices and the Northwestern Occupational Health subsidiary. In terms of salary and benefits alone, NMC provides nearly $38 million to the regional economy. We are fortunate to be joined in our work by over 135 active volunteers who donate approximately 20,000 hours each year and more than 170 Active & Associate medical staff members.
Looking at the numbers
• NMC now cares for approximately 1,900 inpatients each year.
• Our Emergency Department sees over 28,000 emergency patients a year and our Urgent Care in Georgia is seeing approximately 7,000 patients a year.
• Our Family Birth Center welcomes approximately 400 babies each year.
• We conduct over 6,000 surgical and outpatient procedures each year, along with more than 300,000 lab tests and approximately 50,000 diagnostic imaging exams.
• In total, more than $129 million of patient care is provided at NMC each year, for which we are reimbursed at only 57¢ on the dollar.